078: Dr. Russell Kirk – The Business Of Dentistry
Welcome to another episode of The Dentalpreneur Podcast. Joining me today is Dr. Russell Kirk, the host of the Business of Dentistry Podcast.
Today Dr. Kirk and I discuss his journey to becoming an oral surgeon and his experiences in as a practice owner. He shares how he developed the desire to learn the business side of practice ownership while in the Navy. Dr. Kirk speaks about his struggles starting his own practice without working as an associate and lacking business knowledge at the time. We also speak about how an oral surgery practice differs from general dentistry, including the business of referrals. We also go into detail on the points we think are most important to share with new and practicing dentists for success in business and dentistry.
All of that and more on today’s episode of The Dentalpreneur.
Dr. Kirk is an Oral Surgeon in Lebanon, TN. After completing dental school Dr. Kirk became a commissioned officer in the United States Navy. Throughout his active duty career as a Naval officer, Dr. Kirk was able to advance his education and interest in oral surgery. He has served 23 years in the Naval Reserve and is currently a Captain, in addition to operating his own practice and hosting a podcast.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Why it is important to learn how to “work smarter, not harder”
- How there are two sides to the referral relationship
- What the oral surgeons perspective is on complicated referrals
- How finding a good mentor/associate position can be beneficial
- Why attending events and knowing the dentists in your area is important
- How podcasting and listening to podcasts is beneficial to improving clinical and business knowledge
A very special thanks to Dr. Russell Kirk for taking time to speak with me on today’s show. Thanks to you for joining us on another episode of the Dentalpreneur podcast.
- Find the Business of Dentistry podcast at: businessofdentistrypodcast.com
- Check TrueDentalSuccess.com for upcoming events
- Get your free copy of Pillars of Dental Success
- Subscribe to The Dentalpreneur Podcast
- Write a Review on iTunes